Facebook Ads Case Study: How We Took 1 Dead eCommerce Funnel, Made A Few Simple Tweaks, And Turned It Into A $90k Per Month Business in 3 weeks…

partner logo
partner logo
partner logo
partner logo
partner logo

Are you ready to put your Facebook ads in the hands of a team who know what they’re doing?

My team and I recently had had the privilege to work with an amazing well established baby store, KJ Essentials For Baby.  A popular brand for parents, the store has over 80,000 Facebook followers.

 While the brand had significant authority, the onset of COVID led to new players in the eCommerce space and a significant decline in  results. When IOS hit, their ads tanked and the client was spending over 80% of purchase value in ad spend, they were ready to give it all in after years of success. 

When we first started working with KJ Esssentials, they were doing about 8-10 sales per day and it was costing them over $100 per sale (on a $100 product)… ouch!

Less than one month in and we managed to turn that ship around, taking KJ Essentials from petty and horrible FB ad results to $90,000 monthly revenues from $20K ad spend! 

I don’t know about you, but that’s a pretty good ROI for ecommerce!!

I’m about to walk you through exactly how it was done. I’ll show you where we ran ads, how different traffic sources performed, what had the biggest impact on the success of the campaign, and what I’d do differently next time.

ecommerce case study

Pre-Facebook Ad Campaign...

Before the roll-out of new Facebook campaigns, we ran a full audit on the KJ Essentials ad account. 

Following the audit, the final step before going live with any campaign rollouts was to do a full “secret shop” of the user experience to ensure the funnel itself and buyer journey was ready for conversions. 

 In our initial findings for this we discovered that the brand used a lot of fancy language in ads (which typically don’t lend well to direct response copy writing).  

On the website the 2% conversion rate was immediately improved with just a few minor tweaks. 

We found that the Afterpay button was not visible and loyalty program text was too small 

baby store ecommerce

The Campaign...

Now that the funnel and campaigns had been properly assessed and that the brand was ready for traffic, it was time to go live with the campaigns. 

The Objective

We were tasked with increasing sales and driving down the down per acquisition from $100 to under $30. We recognised the huge importance in structure, and building a warm re-targeting audience that could later be tapped into.
 
Audiences


Previously, the brand had run all audiences under specific products, without any structure. Our first strategy was to effectively structure campaigns and split ads between cold and warm audiences. An effective structure can have a huge impact on results as you remove the impact of duplicated audiences competing for the same space.

Audience had become fatigued, along with creative as the structure did not permit fine tuning evergreen content along the funnel. What this means is that audiences were seeing the same creative over and over again.

Creative

A huge mistake was missing the valuable content built over years of engagement with the brand. Historical data can contain gold nuggets of truth, everything from the best audiences to the most engaging content. The content holding the most value had large amounts of social proof (comments and shares), and when used in new ads, more than halved the cost of results.

kelly testimonial social proof

The Funnel

We started off using a traffic campaign and video campaign to the cold audience to build up a large and healthy custom audience that could be used for retargeting. From there we split up the retargeting groups (Days 1-5, Days 6-10 etc) to reduce frequency and create an evergreen funnel.

We created a series of high social proof ads using existing posts to products with the highest profit and stock volumes.

We used placements like right hand column and desktop but the clear winner for conversions was Instagram.

The Results

The single biggest change was “tidying” up the ad accounts, optimisations and improving the user experience to stabilise sales and drop the cost per conversion- the secret sauce was using posts with UGC and social content, which allowed for mass scale. 

743 sales from a $27,000 ad spend – resulting in $90,000 in revenue resulting in an average cost per sale of $36! 

ecommerce case study

The brand continues to scale and grow and is estimated to hit over $1million in revenue in the next six months. 

While the brand continues to scale and grow and is on track for $1M/month revenues it’s important to mention here the fact that we were offering a quality product with a proven history of sales. That’s important. If you’re trying to sell something that no one wants or that just isn’t good, it really doesn’t matter how good your ads are.


We can’t wait to see what our next ecommerce client brings in!

 Grab Your Free FB Ad Strategy Call 

 

P.S. – if you’re skimming and just wanted to see what the offer was… you can request a free strategy call to have myself and my team personally audit your business and ad campaigns and advise on how to scale and succeed with FB ads!